You must have heard about people being allergic to gluten or seen people looking for gluten-free food items in a super market. Have you wondered what gluten and what happens to those who have suffer from gluten-intolerance.
What Is Gluten
Gluten is made of two proteins known as gliadin and glutenin. These proteins are found in bread, pasta, cakes wheat. They are also found in canned soup, oatmeal and salad dressings. Gluten is what gives the bread its chewiness and cakes their airy crumb.
Why People Eliminate Gluten From Their Diet
People prefer gluten free food for three main reasons. They are
- Gluten intolerance – Those who are intolerant to this protein have minor skin rashes, digestive problems, intense abdominal pain or suffer from anemia. They also experience chronic fatigue, irritability, anxiety and depression.
- Wheat allergy – People who are allergic to wheat have stomach pain, rashes or develop hives after the consumption of wheat based products.
- Celiac disease – Those with this health issue display an immune reaction to this protein found in rye, barley and wheat. Gluten causes damage to their small intestine and also makes it difficult for the body to absorb essential nutrients. The symptoms include minor skin rashes, digestive problems to severe abdominal pain, and anemia.
Switching to this diet is not so easy as many feel deprived of many foods items. You need to focus on foods that you can eat to make the change easier. You will realize that there are many gluten free products including bread and pasta available in the grocery stores and super markets.
List Of Foods You Can Consume
- Dairy products
- Unprocessed nuts, seeds and beans
- Fruits and vegetables
- Fresh poultry such as chicken and eggs
- Fresh meat
Ensure to avoid foods that contain additives or preservatives. Some of the grains and starches that can be included in this diet are
- Rice and Rice flour
- Corn and corn-meal
Those who are on a weight-loss program and suffer from gluten-intolerance should read the label on their protein bars to check whether they are free of these proteins. Choose foods items that are naturally gluten free.