When your turkey is a big bird, there is bound to be leftovers. The left over could have been avoided if you knew how much turkey to buy. However, if you have turkey leftovers do not worry as there are many ways you can use the meat without your family getting bored with it. Before that here are a few top tips to refrigerate your leftover turkey.
Tips To Refrigerate Turkey Leftover
- Before your post-feasting nap, tuck your turkey leftovers in the fridge. Leaving it outside may make it unsafe to eat.
- Leftover turkey should be consumed with two-three days. However, if you think that’s not possible, then store it in your freezer compartment.
- Wrap the leftover bird in an aluminum foil or in a air tight container.
- If you are placing it in the fridge, store it in a sealed container and place it in the middle shelf along with the other ready-to-eat foods.
3 Delicious Turkey Leftover Recipes
- Homemade turkey soup
In a heavy-bottom saucepan, throw in even the smallest pieces of the meat including the bones and add some chicken or vegetable broth. The bones give a rich flavor. The bones can be removed later. To this add cooked rice, vegetables and cream. What you get is a yummy and delicious turkey soup.
- Post-Thanksgiving Casserole
It’s an easy dish that can be put-together for a Saturday evening. Sauté celery and onion in butter, add the poultry seasoning and sage. Add broth of chicken or vegetables. Bring it to boil before removing from the heat. Combine garlic powder, turkey and cream with the soup. Transfer this to a baking tray. Layer it with mashed potatoes that is combined with cream cheese, salt and pepper. If you want it to be cheesy, sprinkle cheese over it. Bake at 350-degree F for 30-35 minutes.
- Turkey Club Sandwich
In a bowl, mix mayonnaise, cranberry sauce, Dijon mustard, honey and roasted and chopped pecans/walnuts. Use this mixture to spread on one side of the bread slice. Over this layer lettuce, cheese, tomato, turkey and bacon. On another slice spread the mayo mixture and cover the bread top. Cut it into wedges and serve.