Turkey gravy is an essential item on the Thanksgiving Day menu. The perfect time to start preparing your turkey gravy is while the roasted turkey is resting on the cutting board to be carved. Allow the bird to rest outside the oven for 20 minutes. Remove the bird on to the cutting board. Transfer the pan drippings into a measuring cup. Then scrape the browned turkey bits from the pan and add it to the measuring cup.
Method To Make Turkey Gravy
Skim 1/4 cup of the fat from the drippings into thick-bottom saucepan.
To this add 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour and stir well.
To the pan dripping in the measuring cup add reduced chicken broth so the entire measure is equal to 2 cups.
Add this to flour mixture in the saucepan and cook while continuously stirring over medium heat until it bubbles.
Strain the turkey gravy into a serving bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Now its ready to serve.
Tips To Make Perfect And Sensational Turkey Gravy
- De-glaze the pan and use the drippings to add extra flavor to the gravy, if you are making gravy from something that’s been roasted or pan-fried.
- To make get lump-free gravy, ensure that the corn starch or the all-purpose flour is mixed well with either fat or the cold liquid before cooking it.
- Use a balloon whisk to stir the gravy while bringing it to boil.
- Browned bits of turkey, (any meat or poultry) adds flavor to the gravy, so it’s not necessary to strain them out.
Season the gravy with salt and pepper. If you want to thin the gravy add either milk, broth or wine.
How to make turkey gravy without roasting turkey
No turkey roast pan drippings? Nothing to worry. Try this recipe
- All-purpose flour – 1/3 cup
- Chicken broth – 3 cups
- Butter – 1/3 cup
- Ground black pepper – 1/4 teaspoon
- Kosher salt to taste
- Parsley finely chopped – 1 tbsp.
In a thick-bottom saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until its smooth and it gives out aroma.
To this add chicken broth and pepper.
Allow it to thicken and bubble, while constantly stirring it with a whisk.
Add salt and garnish with parsley.
Share your tips with us on how to make yummy and delicious turkey gravy