Apples store well in the cellar. They will dry out and wrinkle with time. And subsequently, lose its flavor and taste. However, if you freeze apples it will retain the nutrients as well as the taste, and can be used in the recipes. There are a few things that you need to understand before freezing the apples. Fujis, galas and the similar sweet apples will retain the flavor compared to the tart varieties. How you freeze this fruit depends on how you wish to use the frozen ones.
Freezing Whole Apples
Choose firm, sweet, and ripe fruits. Wash them well and dry. Put them in freezer bags and store them. It sounds easier. But it’s always better to cut the apples into manageable pieces before storing it in the freezer.
Freezing Apples for Apple Pie
- First things first. Peel and slice the apples into pie sized chunks.
- Put the slices in to the lemon water to avoid it becoming brown.
- Rinse the slices well and transfer them into a bowl. To this add sugar flour, salt and cinnamon powder. Mix well and coat the apples.
- Line the pie pan with a full length aluminum foil.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared pie pan.
- Fold the foil over the mixture and place them in the freezer.
- After 24 hours, remove the frozen apples from the foil package and transfer it into a freezer Ziploc bag. Seal and write the date on the freezer bag.
- You can take it out before baking.
Freezing Apples in Honey or Sugar Syrup
- Peel and slice the fruit and put them in the lemon. Rinse well and transfer the same into the sugar syrup.
- Store this in airtight freezer containers and put it in the freezer.
How to make sugar syrup
Combine 1 quart of water with 2 to 3 cups of sugar. Heat the mixture until its dissolved. Cool this mixture well before adding the fruit slices .
How to make honey syrup
Boil 4 cups of water. Remove it from the heat before adding the 2 cups of honey. Stir well so the honey dissolves well in the mixture.
Dry Pack Of Frozen Apples
- Here the fruit can be stored with or without sugar.
- Peel, core and slice the quart apples and place them in lemon water.
- Drain well. Sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar and mix well to coat the slices.
- Place the apples in the freezer bags, seal well and freeze. Ensure to label the apple freezer bags.
Use these slices in your recipes.