Cucumbers are so cool and delicious, that you place them between slices of bread to make sandwiches, cube them to make salad and also finely slice them to pickle. Though they are mistaken to be a vegetable, in technicality it’s a fruit like squash, and water melon. Cucumber is store house of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients that lowers the risk of terminal diseases such as cancer.
Health benefits of cucumbers
- Cucumbers are an excellent and one of the natural sources of B-vitamins.
- Adding this to your regular diet will give you healthy skin because it contains vitamin c. The silicon and sulfur stimulate hair growth.
- Cucumber has anti-inflammatory properties. Therefore, you can place slices of cucumbers to reduce puffy eyes.
- This fruit is rich in flavonoids, lignans and triterpenes. These are phytonutrients that provide anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Fights bacteria responsible for bad breath. Place a slice of cucumber in your mouth for a minute. It’s a natural breath freshener.
- Cucumbers have high water and dietary fibers. Therefore, those who are in weight loss program should consume it daily. Similarly, those who suffer from constipation or have digestion issues should incorporate cucumber in their diet.
- Eating this everyday will reduce bad cholesterol as it contains sterol a hormone.
- Silica in the cucumbers strengthen the connective tissue and reduces arthritis pain.
- In summer months, it keeps the body hydrated as it contains 95% water. It also helps eliminate the toxins in the body.
Try this simple cucumber recipes
Cucumber tomato salad
- Cucumber – 1 peeled and diced
- Tomatoes – 2 finely chopped
- Onion – 1 finely chopped
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- salt and pepper as per taste.
In a salad bowl combine tomatoes, cucumbers and onions. Drizzle the lemon juice and sprinkle salt and pepper. Toss well and chill until ready to serve.
Watch out this space for more on cucumbers.