The kidney-shaped seeds attached to the cashew apples are known as the cashew nuts. This nut is native to the coastal area of the northeastern Brazil. Cashew nuts are delicately flavored and are easily found in the local market around the year. It can be used to make nut butter, sauces, added to the salads, stir-fried dishes as well as in desserts and savories. Have a look at a couple of cashew nut recipes.
Cashew Cream sauce
- Raw cashews – 1/4 cup
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Pasta sauce – 24 ounce
- Gin/Vodka – 2 tbsp
- In a blender, blend cashews and water to make a smooth paste or puree.
- In a thick-bottom pan, stir cashew cream and pasta sauce and allow it to bubble over a medium heat.
- Add vodka/gin and simmer for a couple of minutes while stirring constantly.
Serve this over rice, steamed spinach, or pasta.
Stir-fried Chicken And Cashew
- Egg – 1
- Cornflour – 1 tbsp
- Sea salt – pinch
- Sliced chicken breast – 500g
- Olive oil – 300 ml
For stir fry
- Slice onion – 1
- Yellow, green and red bell peppers – 1 each de-seeded and sliced
- Chicken stock – 3 tbsp
- Soy sauce – 3 tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 10 nuts
- Spring onions – 3 finely minced
- Salt and pepper as per taste
- Steam Jasmine rice – 1 cup
- In a bowl beat the egg, corn flour and a pinch of salt. Add the sliced chicken fillets and coat well in the egg.
- In a wok, heat the oil and fry the chicken for 5 minutes or until it turns golden brown. Remove and drain on the kitchen paper.
- Remove the oil from the wok, except for one tablespoon. On full heat, stir fry the onion for a few seconds. Now add the peppers and stir for a minute or till they soften a bit.
- To this add the fried chicken, stock and soy sauce. Simmer for a couple of minutes or till the chicken is cooked well.
- Stir in the cashew nuts and spring onions. Sprinkle salt and pepper. Transfer it to a serving dish and serve with steamed rice.
For more delicious recipes stay tuned.