Want to fit into your Little Black Dress this holiday season without much hassle? Follow cabbage soup diet for seven days. As the name suggests your staple and main diet would consist of mainly the combo of cabbage soup, fruits and vegetables. Though many health experts support this diet, there are a few who are against this diet plan as they believe it’s not sustainable.
Is cabbage soup diet a long-term weight loss plan
No, this diet plan is only a short-term plan. It’s believed that is plan can help you lose at least 10 pounds in a week. It is considered to be a fastest weight-loss program as its low in calories and high in dietary fibers.
What Is Cabbage Soup Diet
Cabbagae soup diet is also known as Mayo Clinic Diet or Sacred Heart Hospital Diet.It supposedly was a staple diet in the hospital for quick weight loss for heart patients who have to undergo surgery. However, the clinics mentioned here deny these claims. Though no one knows for sure where this unique diet originated, it was a popular during the 1980s through 1990s.
Simple Cabbage Soup Recipe
You need to make a large quantity of this soup as you would have to consume it several times a day.
- Green bell pepper – 1
- Diced Tomato – 1 can
- Celery Stalks – 6
- Onion chopped – 1 large
- Cabbage – 1 large head
- Water – 4-5 cups
- Olive oil – 1 tsp
- Hot sauce – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt and pepper – as per taste
Cut the vegetables into bite-size pieces. Sauté the onion in the oil for a couple of minutes. Now add, pepper, and celery and sauté for another 5 minutes.
Add water, hot sauces and tomatoes and bring it to boil. Add salt now and reduce the heat allowing the vegetables to become tender.
Add the cabbage once the other vegetables are cooked and cook the soup for another 10 minutes.
Cabbage is added towards the end to preserve the nutrients.
Season the soup with pepper and add more hot sauces if your palate needs.
Rules of the Cabbage Soup Diet
- Day one – Unlimited cabbage soup and fruits. But no bananas.
- Day two – Only soup and vegetables. However, avoid peas, beans and corn. Have one baked potato sautéed in butter or oil.
- Day three – In addition to the soup, eat as many fruits and vegetables. But no baked potato.
- Day four – In addition to cabbage soup have unlimited bananas and skim milk.
- Day five – Drink at least 8 glasses of water. Six fresh tomatoes and unlimited cabbage soup. You can have 250gms of beef, chicken or fish.
- Day six – Soup, beef and vegetables. Have a bowl of green leafy salad but no baked potato. Replace beef with fish if you want to.
- Day seven – In addition to cabbage soup, have unlimited fruit juice with no added sugar. Also, add vegetables, and brown rice.
Note: – You should follow this diet not more than seven days at a time. You can repeat this diet after a couple of weeks.